As per Queensland Government guidelines, face masks are required indoors from Sunday 2 January 2022. View vaccinations requirements and refund information here. 

History

Queensland Museum Network

For more than 160 years, we’ve been documenting, discovering, preserving and sharing Queensland’s natural and cultural heritage. More than a million items and specimens make up the State Collection that tells the changing story of Queensland.

Significant dates

1862 – Queensland Philosophical Society founded the Queensland Museum in Brisbane on 20 January, operating from a room set aside in the Windmill

1868 – Moved to the Parliamentary building in Queen Street, Brisbane

1871 – The government assumed primary responsibility for the Museum

1873 – Relocated into the old Post Office building

1879 – First purpose-built museum building completed, William Street, Brisbane

1899 – Moved to the Exhibition building

1982 – Museum of Lands, Mapping and Surveying opened in Woolloongabba, Brisbane

1985 – Closed the Museum’s home of 86 years, Brisbane’s Exhibition building

1986 – Queensland Museum opened in the heart of Brisbane’s cultural precinct

1987 – Cobb+Co Museum opened in Toowoomba

1987 – Museum of Tropical Queensland opened in Townsville

2000 – Museum of Tropical Queensland – brand new, landmark building opens on Flinders Street in the centre of Townsville

2002 – The Workshops Rail Museum opened in Ipswich

2010 – Cobb+Co Museum expansion opened

2012 – Queensland Museum celebrates 150 years of connecting and collecting

2013 – Queensland Museum opens Lost Creatures 

2016 – Queensland Museum opens Wild State Gallery 

2016 – Queensland Museum Network hosts the first World Science Festival Brisbane  

2018 – Queensland Museum opens Anzac Legacy Gallery 

2018 – Queensland Museum opens SparkLab, Sciencentre 

2018 – Museum of Tropical Queensland – Sciencentre opens

2019Queensland Museum relocates Discovery Centre to Level 4

2019 – The Workshops Rail Museum’s Sciencentre opens

2019 – Queensland Museum opens a newly refurbished 1000 square metre exhibition space on Level 3