Backyard Explorer Workshops October 2011
Our entomology team is travelling to Central Qld, North Qld and, for the first time, the Torres Strait to go Backyard Exploring in October.
Register your interest below to attend a North Keppel Island, Mackay, Innisfail or Thursday Island workshop.
- Monday 17 October Full day workshop (9am - 3:30pm)
North Keppel Island Environmental Education Centre
- Tuesday 18 October Afternoon workshop (3:30pm - 5:30pm)
Central Queensland University, Mackay
- Thursday 20 October Full day workshop (9am - 3:30pm)
Goondi State School, Innisfail
- Saturday 22 October Full day workshop (9:30am - 2:30pm)
Tagai State College, Thursday Island
Learn how to assess biodiversity through the world of insects with QM Entomologist Dr Christine Lambkin and QM Senior Education Officer Allan Morrison.
Our Backyard Explorer learning resource guides you in assessing biodiversity and the effect of human impact using data from insect trapping.
In the workshop, you’ll discover how to design a biodiversity monitoring project and get hands-on opportunities to:
- Collect insects using different trapping methods
- Use preservation and labelling techniques
- Identify major insect types using an interactive key
- Consider how data can be used to assess biodiversity
This initiative is funded with assistance from the Science Connections Program within the Department of Innovation, Industry, Science and Research.